Technology refers to the utilization of knowledge for purposes that are more practical. Green technology is a field that comprises a budding group of methods as well as materials, from the methods that are used for generating energy to cleaning products that are not toxic.
There are great expectations of this field bringing innovations and also changes to our daily lives just as it has been the case with information technology over the last two decades. As of right now, it is not easy to predict what green technologies may eventually encompass.
Some of the goals that have enabled developments in the green technology field, which happens to be growing very fast, include the following:
1. The needs of the society will be met in ways that can be still utilized in future without causing damage to the natural resources or depleting them. What this implies is that green technology will bring about sustainability by allowing the current needs to be met without exhausting the resources for the coming generations.
2. Products that can be fully reused or reclaimed will be created, and as result putting an end to the cradle to grave cycle of the manufactured products.
3. Patterns of production as well as consumption will be changed, and that will reduce wastes as well as pollution.
4. There will be alternatives to technologies that cause adverse effect to the health of people and damage the environment.
5. Economic activities will be centered on products and technologies that are beneficial to the environment, which will in turn lead to creation of new careers that are not harmful to the planet.
The following are some of the subject areas in the field of green technology:
Energy happens to be one of the most urgent issues in green technology. It encompasses the creation of new ways of generating energy as well as energy efficiency, and the means by which alternative fuels can be developed.
2. Green building
This is an area that focuses on the usage of environment friendly materials for building houses and also ensures that the location of the building does not harm the environment.
3. Doing purchases that are environmentally preferred
The government innovation usually involves looking for those products that have been using contents and methods that are harmless to the environment. The government mandates that such products should be the preferred ones for government purchasing.
4. Green chemistry
Green chemistry refers to the creation, design as well as application of chemical products that are harmless to the environment, and also processes that are meant to decrease or get rid of the use as well as generation of substances that are hazardous.
5. Sewage treatment
When sewage is treated, it makes water in which it is released less polluted, and therefore allowing the water to be used affluently in a productive manner.
There are careers that are known to be green careers.
Some of them include Energy Auditor, Green Cleaner, Program Manager, Client Services Representative, just to mention a few. Basically, if your line of work falls in the green technology field or it is friendly to the environment, it qualifies to be a green career.